16.2 C
Sunday, April 14, 2024

Kidnapped Kogi chief reportedly dies in captivity, co-abductee regains freedom

Must read

Tragic news has emerged from Kabba-Bunu local government area of Kogi State, as Chief David Obadofin, a prominent Cashew farmer and Traditional ruler of Aghara, has reportedly died in the hands of his kidnappers. The Chief was abducted on Easter Sunday, and he is said to have passed away 12 days later, unable to withstand the torture of his captivity. Meanwhile, Temidayo Elewa, who was also abducted alongside the Chief, has been set free.

According to sources involved in the negotiations, the kidnappers agreed to collect M2,000,000 for the release of both victims. However, when they noticed that Chief Obadofin was becoming too weak, they started mounting pressure for payment. Unfortunately, the monarch died before the ransom could be delivered.

Conscious of the advance of a search group made up of hunters, vigilantes, and some Fulani volunteers, the gunmen set Temidayo free in Obajana, Lokoja Local Government Area of the state. After many hours of roaming the jungle alone, she met a sawing machine operator, who eventually led her to freedom.

As of this writing, the identity of the suspect arrested by the search party, who allegedly helped in efforts to recover the Chief’s corpse, could not be ascertained. However, efforts are ongoing to locate and recover the remains of the deceased.

The late Chief Obadofin was said to be on medication for age-related diseases aside from the trauma and rough treatment he received from the gunmen. There were concerns about his chances of survival, given his medical condition. Unfortunately, the worst-case scenario has now become a reality.

The attack occurred on Easter Monday, at about 11 pm, when the gunmen abducted Chief Obadofin and Temidayo from his farm residence in Aghara. The gunmen also shot Madam Toyin Onare, a widow who was working on the farm as a labourer. She was rushed to a nearby hospital but was confirmed dead on arrival.

The Kogi State police command confirmed the attack, and the kidnappers made contact the following day, demanding a ransom of N60,000,000. The late Chief allegedly said the gunmen fed them with roasted yam.

This tragic incident has once again highlighted the rising cases of insecurity and kidnappings in Nigeria. The late Chief Obadofin was a well-respected member of the community, and his death has left a massive void that would be difficult to fill. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones during this difficult time.

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article