The Borno State Police Command has confirmed that there was a stone attack on the convoy of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, in Maiduguri, the state capital, but denied that people were hospitalized.
It had been reported that some vehicles in the convoy of the opposition’s presidential candidate were vandalized and many were injured in the process.
The spokesman of the PDP presidential campaign council, Sen. Dino Melaye, had claimed that at least 74 persons were hospitalized while several vehicles were vandalized.
Melaye accused the All Progressives Congress (APC) of trying to stop PDP’s campaign by deploying thugs to attack its supporters. According to him, Atiku’s convoy was attacked after he left the palace of Shehu of Borno on Wednesday.
But the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, ASP Kamilu Shatambaya, told newsmen that a 32-year-old man, Danladi Abbas, was arrested on Airport Road, Maiduguri, for throwing stones at the convoy of the former Vice President.
Shatambaya, who stated that Abbas and other hoodlums attempted to disrupt Atiku’s convoy, however, denied that the PDP presidential candidate was attacked at the venue of the rally.
The police spokesperson stressed that the PDP presidential rally was conducted successfully under tight and adequate security coverage.
“The candidate was accompanied to the Shehu of Borno’s palace after which he was accompanied to the Ramat Square where he addressed his supporters. The Commissioner of Police, Mr Abdu Umar, was also at the venue to ensure that everything went on successfully.
“However, one Danladi Abbas (32) was arrested on Airport Road, Maiduguri, for throwing stones at the motorcade of the presidential candidate. Abbas and other hoodlums attempted to disrupt the motorcade, but they were chased and luckily one of them was arrested and taken away for questioning,” he said.
Shatambaya also said that contrary to reports, nobody has reported any case of an attack to any police station within Maiduguri and Jere, adding: “We also went round hospitals to ascertain the claim that more than 74 persons were hospitalized, but no such patient was found.”