spot_img
4.6 C
Munich
spot_img
Tuesday, February 17, 2026

EFCC detains El-Rufai over alleged N432bn fraud, DSS placed on alert

Must read

Former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, has been taken into custody by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission following hours of questioning over an alleged N432bn corruption investigation.

Sources within the anti graft agency disclosed that El Rufai arrived at the commission’s Jabi headquarters in Abuja around 10am on Monday in response to an invitation and was interrogated for several hours before being detained late in the evening.

Officials familiar with the probe said the investigation stems from allegations contained in the 2024 report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly, which accused the former governor’s administration of mismanaging loans, breaching due process in contract awards and leaving the state with huge debt obligations.

A senior EFCC official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the agency had been investigating the matter for about a year, stressing that invitations are usually extended only after substantial findings have been made.

The source added that El Rufai remained in custody as of Monday night.

The commission’s spokesperson, Dele Oyewale, confirmed that the former governor honoured the EFCC invitation but declined to provide details regarding the interrogation or possible next steps.

The detention represents a significant development in the mounting legal challenges facing the former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, whose recent criticisms of the Federal Government and security agencies have heightened political tensions.

The probe is linked to the report of an ad hoc committee of the Kaduna State House of Assembly set up in 2024 to review loans, finances and contracts executed between 2015 and 2023.

The committee alleged that several loans obtained during the period were not applied to their intended purposes.

During plenary presentation of the report, committee chairman Henry Zacharia alleged widespread financial infractions, while Speaker Yusuf Dahiru Leman claimed about N423bn was misappropriated under the administration, leaving the state with heavy liabilities.

The Assembly subsequently petitioned anti corruption agencies to investigate and prosecute those involved.

The report also cited disputed payments exceeding N155m, the alleged diversion of N1.37bn meant for a light rail project and claims that N64.8m was laundered by senior officials.

El Rufai has repeatedly denied wrongdoing, maintaining that all loans secured during his tenure were legally approved and used for infrastructure, education, healthcare and security projects.

Meanwhile, the Federal Government has filed criminal charges against the former governor at the Federal High Court in Abuja over the alleged unlawful interception of the phone communications of the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

The three count charge, filed under the Cybercrimes Amendment Act 2024 and the Nigerian Communications Act 2003, accused El Rufai of admitting during a television interview that he and unnamed associates intercepted the NSA’s communications.

According to court documents, the alleged admission was made during an appearance on Arise Television’s Prime Time programme on February 13, 2026. Prosecutors argued that the action compromised national security and created apprehension among members of the public.

No date had been fixed for his arraignment as of the time of filing this report, while security sources indicated that operatives of the Department of State Services were on standby as investigations and legal proceedings continue.

- Advertisement -spot_img

Latest article