Tension in Edo as DSS arrests key suspects in lynching of travelers

There is rising tension in Edo State following the arrest of two principal suspects involved in the brutal killing of 16 northern Nigerian travelers in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government Area, last week.

The suspects were apprehended by operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS) after acting on credible intelligence, according to a statement from the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Monday Okpehbolo, Fred Itua.

Itua confirmed that various security agencies are continuing to search for additional suspects connected to the tragic incident.

“The DSS operatives arrested two principal suspects in Uromi based on reliable intelligence. Other suspects linked to the killings are still being pursued by security agencies,” Itua said.

The two arrested suspects have been transferred to Abuja for further interrogation and prosecution.

A source informed The PUNCH that the 14 other individuals previously detained in connection with the incident have also been transferred to the Force headquarters, with investigations ongoing.

The transfer of the suspects to Abuja follows an order from the Inspector-General of Police.

“The suspects were moved to Abuja as directed by the IGP, and investigations are continuing,” the source added.

In the wake of the killings, Governor Okpehbolo had promised compensation to the victims’ families during a meeting with Kano State officials, but Itua could not confirm whether this compensation would be financial.

However, he did mention that both the Edo and Kano state governments are collaborating to ensure appropriate compensation is provided.

“We are working together with the Kano State Government to ensure the victims’ families are compensated, though the exact form of compensation is still being discussed,” Itua explained.

A resident of Uromi, identified only as Michael, revealed that the local community is gripped with fear, as many are fleeing the area out of concern for being wrongfully arrested.

“People are leaving their homes near the site of the killings to avoid being arrested by the police, who are under orders to apprehend all those involved,” Michael said.

He added that protests had erupted at the Ojuromi of Uromi palace, where women voiced their anger over what they deemed indiscriminate arrests by security forces.

Meanwhile, the Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has raised alarms about efforts by opposition political parties to instigate unrest in the state.

APC Chairman Jarret Tenebe accused the opposition of plotting to destabilize the state, potentially leading to a state of emergency being declared by President Bola Tinubu.

“We have learned that some opposition leaders in Edo, in collaboration with others, are conspiring to create chaos and make the state ungovernable,” Tenebe claimed during a press conference.

“Their ultimate goal is to push President Tinubu to declare a state of emergency in Edo, as they lack confidence in their ability to secure victory at the Edo Election Petition Tribunal.”

- Advertisement -
Exit mobile version