Coronavirus: FG Intensifies Checks At Nation’s Airports [LEADERSHIP]
To protect Nigerians, especially the travelling public from the rampaging coronavirus outbreak, the federal government has begun routine checks on persons entering the country through the nation’s airports.
The task is assigned to the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), which has swung into action by directing passengers and other airport users to comply with all quarantine procedures at Nigeria‘s airports.
FAAN said yesterday that the move became necessary to prevent the spread of coronavirus and other communicable diseases to Nigeria.
In a statement issued by FAAN general manager, public affairs, Mrs. Henrietta Yakubu, the agency said that it had already taken proactive steps by ensuring that equipment and personnel used in combating the deadly Ebola virus in 2014 were still in place at the airports. Mrs Yakubu said that FAAN had always had thermal scanners in the airports that monitors the temperature of passengers as well as capture their pictures.
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has urged travellers from Nigeria to Wuhan, China to avoid contact with sick people, animals (alive or dead), and animal markets.
Amotekun Tinubu Calls For Dialogue [LEADERSHIP]
The national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday broke his silence on the controversy surrounding the establishment of the South Western Nigeria security outfit code-named “Amotekun” by the six governors from the region.
Instead of flexing muscles over the matter, Tinubu urged the federal and state governments concerned to dialogue on the issue and resolve their differences for the peace and progress of the country.
Tinubu, who issued a statement titled: “The Public Discourse Over Amotekun,” said that “Amotekun” presents a great opportunity for Nigeria in its quest to enthrone true federalism, of which he had been an advocate since 1999.
The former Lagos State governor said that “shorn of the overly dramatic language, what lies before us is but a step in the evolution of our federalism. This is an opportunity to more clearly define that federalism.”
Kabiru Bala Emerges New ABU VC [LEADERSHIP]
Prof. Kabiru Bala yesterday emerged the new vice chancellor of Ahmadu Bello University (ABU), Zaria.
He came top among the 11 candidates that were selected for consideration from the 17 that applied for the prestigious office.
Bala, who is a professor of building and construction management, was a former deputy vice chancellor (DVC) Administration of the university.
The institution’s pro chancellor and chairman of the Governing Council, Mallam Adamu Fika, announced the choice of Prof. Bala at a press conference at Arewa House, Kaduna, venue of the selection of the vice chancellor by the council.
Tinubu: Amotekun Not Threat To National Unity [NATION]
*Way forward is dialogue between Fed Govt, governors
*DAWN: it’s not Yoruba police
*Okunnu: WNSN answer to insecurity
*It’s a vote against Buhari’s approach to security, says PDP
*Attorneys-Gen to meet on outfit
The Western Nigeria Security Network (WNSN) Operation Amotekun is not a threat to security of the federation, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu said on Wednesday.
Instead of heating up the polity on the matter, he canvassed a need to “properly discern the situation”.
Tinubu, national leader of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) made his position known in a statement.
It was the first time he was speaking on the controversy trailing the security plan.
State Govts, Councils Battle Over $2.6b Paris Club Refund [NATION]
The Federal Government is probing the disbursement of $2,626,092, 828.84 Paris Club Loan refunds due to Local Government councils.
Governors collected $6,483, 282,424.61 refunds directly from the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN) based on the directive of the Minister of Finance. The money was meant for states and the councils.
The states’ share of the $6,483, 282,424.61 is $3, 858,189,596.76, while the remaining belonged to the 774 councils.
But in at least 27 states, it has been difficult to trace the $2,626,092, 828.84.
Only Kaduna, Niger, Delta were reported to have remitted refunds to local governments in their states.
Ondo and Edo states were alleged to have made partial refunds to local governments.
There are indications that states which defaulted in remitting Paris Club Loan refunds to their local governments may have it deducted from their monthly allocations from the Federation Account.
The Association of Local Governments of Nigeria(ALGON) has written a petition to Minister of Finance, Budget and National Planning Hajiya Zainab Ahmed, claiming to have secured a garnishee order on the loan refunds due to local governments since June 27, 2016.
ALGON counsel Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), said the Federal Government had not complied with the order of a Federal High Court in Abuja even when “the Order Nisi” was made absolute.
Investigation revealed that the total Paris Club Loan Refunds to the Federal Government, states and local governments is $13, 572,014, 203.93 with the breakdown as follows:
FG/FCT share= $7,089,331,779.32
States= $3, 858,189,596.76
LGAs= $2,626,092, 828.84
In spite of the release of the refunds of states and LGAs to governors, it was gathered that most of the 774 LGAs did not get theirs.
Court Okays Interim Forfeiture Of $376,120 Traced To Army General [NATION]
A Federal High Court in Abuja has granted the request by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for an interim forfeiture of the $376,120 (estimated at N136,155,440) allegedly seized from Maj.-Gen. Hakeem Oladapo Otiki.
Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu made the order for the interim forfeiture of the money on Wednesday.
She ruled on an ex parte motion filed by the EFCC and argued by its lawyer, Ekele Iheanacho.
The judge also ordered the EFCC to publish the interim forfeiture order in a national daily to enable “persons in whose possession the funds sought to be forfeited are found or anyone who is interested in the funds sought to be forfeited, to appear before the court to show cause within 14 days why the final order of forfeiture of the funds should not be made in favour of the Federal Government of Nigeria”.
18 Die As Lassa Fever Spreads To Nine States [NATION]
The Nigeria Centre for Diseases Control (NCDC) on Wednesday said 82 cases of Lassa fever, including 14 deaths, have been confirmed from seven states.
They are Ondo, Edo, Ebonyi, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi and Ogun.
Two other states, Kano and Delta, yesterday confirmed four deaths from the virus.
Two doctors and a patient died in Kano; a single mother died in Delta.
According to the latest figures from the NCDC in its Lassa fever Situation Report (Epi Week 02: 6th – 12th January 2020), 255 suspected cases were recorded.
According to a summary of the current weekly indicators, the number of new confirmed cases rose from 18 in Week 1, 2020 to 64 in Week 2, out of which 12 deaths were recorded from 158 suspected cases.
The cases were with a Case Fatality Ratio (CFR) of 18.8 per cent in 12 Local Government Areas of Ondo, Edo, Ebonyi, Taraba, Plateau, Bauchi and Ogun states.
Planned Travel Ban: We Won’t React To Speculation –Presidency [SUN]
- Boko Haram, herdsmen activities reason for US ban –Afenifere
- Nigeria should retaliate –Yakassai
The Presidency has said it would not react to the speculation that President Donald Trump plans to ban Nigeria alongside other countries from entering the United States through visa restrictions by next week.
There were strong speculations in the US media, yesterday, that President Trump, intends to add Nigeria to a list of seven countries for visa restrictions.
The countries are Belarus, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania.Reports say the list of countries was not final and could yet change.
According to the Wall Street Journal, some countries would face bans only on some visa categories.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the government was aware of the news, but would only respond when it is made official.
$1.1bn Malabu Oil Scam: Arraignment Of Ex- AGF Adoke, Others Stalls [SUN]
The planned arraignment of the immediate-past Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice (AGF), Mr. Mohammed Adoke (SAN) and his co-defendants on a 42-count charge bordering on the controversial Malabu Oil deal has been adjourned to today, after the exercise was stalled, yesterday.
Although the arraignment was scheduled to take place before the Gwagwalada Division of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, the inability of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to serve the defendants with the charge sheet stalled the proceedings.
The prosecution counsel, Bala Sanga, informed Justice Idris Kutigi, that the EFCC had only served the charges on the fifth to the seventh defendants – Nigeria Agip Exploration, Shell Nigeria Ultra Deep Limited, and Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Company Limited, but had not served the second defendant, Aliyu Abubakar, because he was on the run and was only arrested yesterday morning.
The prosecution counsel stated that the commission wanted to ensure that Aliyu was arrested and served before others would be served.
He expressed the surprise over the presence of defence lawyers in court.
Igbo Presidency: Collapse APGA Into APC, Ngige Tells Party Leaders [SUN]
Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, has called on leaders of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) to collapse their party into the All Progressives Congress (APC) if they are serious about protecting Igbo interest.
According to Ngige, rather than deceiving the people with the propaganda that they stood for Igbo interest, APGA should be collapsed into the APC which, at present, is leading the mainstream politics of the country.
Ngige, in an interview with Daily Sun, said Nigerian president of Igbo extraction was one of the most important projects pursued by Ndigbo, but noted that the aspiration could only be achieved if Igbo leaders build political bridges across the country.
Amotekun Comment: South-West Govs Back Tinubu, Afenifere Hits APC Leader [PUNCH]
- APC national leader takes neutral position on operation
- Tinubu’s statement lacks substance, says Yoruba umbrella group
- Former Lagos governor made objective observations – Akeredolu
South-West governors and the apex Yoruba socio-political group, Afenifere, on Wednesday differed on the All Progressives Congress leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s position on the Western Nigerian Security Network, Operation Amotekun.
The governors commended the former Lagos State governor and promised to look into the issues he raised, but Afenifere hit Tinubu hard, saying his statement lacked substance.
After almost three weeks of silence on the launching of Amotekun, Tinubu on Wednesday made his position known on the security outfit, which was launched by the South-West governors in Ibadan on January 9.
FG Awaits US, Trump Set To Slam Visa Restriction On Nigeria [PUNCH]
The United States President, Donald Trump, is set to add Nigeria and six others to a new list of countries on America’s visa restriction.
The new restrictions will apply to travellers and immigrants from Belarus, Eritrea, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania.
As of today, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria and Yemen are on the list, while in the case of Venezuela, political office holders are barred from entering the US.
Senate Keeps Mum On Omo-Agege’s Alleged Conviction [PUNCH]
The Senate has remained silent over the alleged conviction of one of its presiding officers for felony by a United States’ court in 1996.
A coalition of nine civil society organisations had penultimate Monday alleged that the Deputy President of the Senate, Ovie Omo- Agege, was convicted by a US court in 1996.
The CSOs staged a demonstration at the office of the Department of State Service in Abuja on Friday following the expiration of its 72-hour ultimatum to Omo-Agege to resign.
They asked the DSS to investigate and prosecute the Deputy President of the Senate since his colleagues had refused to take any action.
A principal officer of the Senate however told our correspondent on condition of anonymity on Tuesday that the Senate would not speak on the matter.
But Omo-Agege, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Yomi Odunuga, said the court did not convict him.
CP Orders Inspector’s Arrest Over Akwa Ibom Widow’s Killing [PUNCH]
The Akwa Ibom State Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, has ordered the arrest of one Inspector Bassey Ikpe for allegedly beating a widow, Deborah Nkpenie, to death.
Edgal’s order, which was contained in a statement on Wednesday by the command’s Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon, followed reports about the woman’s death on Thursday, January, 16, 2020.
He directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the State Criminal Investigation Department to determine the authenticity of the reports and make his findings known for action.
The statement read in part, “The attention of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command has been drawn to reports in some dailies and online media that a policeman attached to the Akwa Ibom State Police Command, one Inspector Bassey Ikpe, reportedly beat up one Mrs Deborah Nkpenie to death on Thursday, January 16, 2020.
BREAKING: Nigeria records 14 new cases of COVID-19, total 288
COVID-19: FG to pay for 2 months free electricity
Breaking: Bauchi governor recovers from COVID-19
Hospital mortuary rejects corpse over fear of COVID-19
Ongoing Telcos’ fibre optic cable laying essentially to expand telecoms networks infrastructure – NCC
Headlines5 days ago
Tension In Osun As Six COVID-19 Patients Escape From Isolation Center
Headlines5 days ago
Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Sunday Morning
Headlines4 days ago
BREAKING: NCDC Confirms Three New COVID-19 Cases
Headlines5 days ago
Lagos To Extend Lockdown Beyond 14 Days
Metro7 days ago
Woman Allegedly Kills Boyfriend By Pulling His Genitals Over Misunderstanding
Headlines3 days ago
FG declares Friday, Monday public holidays
News7 days ago
Herdsmen Receive 14 Days Ultimatum To Vacate Edo Community
Headlines5 days ago
COVID-19: Resident Doctors Fault FG’s Plan To Invite Chinese Medical Experts